A sub Committee of the Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce
Policies and Guidelines
Article I: Name
This non-partisan organization shall be known as the MainGate United of the Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce, Inc., hereafter referred to as the MainGate.
Article II: Vision Statement
The Vision of MainGate United is to work in a continuous and uninterrupted tempo to inform all public policy entities, community stakeholders, and local citizens of the status of Holloman Air Force Base and its partners as a National Treasure in the Defense of the United States of America and its Allies.
Article III: Mission Statement
The Mission of MainGate United, is to provide unconditional support for the missions at Holloman Air Force Base, White Sands Missile Range, and Fort Bliss. We will promote careful coordination, communication, and cooperation with all community partners, and all persons who share the goal of protecting, preserving, and promoting Holloman Air Force Base.
Article IV: Membership and Meetings
- All members in good standing of the Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce shall be eligible for membership in MainGate.
- There are two ways to join:
- A corporate membership is allowed a single designee. One vote per corporate membership.
- As an Individual. One vote per individual member
- Non-dues-paying, non-voting Ex-Officio invitees include:
- President/CEO of the Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce
- An ex officio observer from HAFB, if appointed by 49 WG/CC in accordance with Joint Ethics Regulation 3-201. Such participation will be in accordance with 49th Wing Commander’s direction, and his direction shall supersede this charter or any by-laws or rules of MainGate or any part/subpart thereof in the event of any conflict. Such participation will also be consistent with any federal law, regulation, or policy.
- One Representative from WSMR
- One Representative from Fort Bliss
- One Representative from the NM National Guard
- Chairman of the NM Base Planning Commission
- One Representative from the Otero County Commission
- One Representative from the City of Alamogordo.
- No proxy voting will be allowed.
- Regularly scheduled business meetings will normally occur monthly or at the discretion of the Leadership Group, but no less than quarterly.
- 33% of the membership shall constitute a quorum.
- Members may attend by electronic Communication.
- Each member will be assigned randomly to a Service Team every odd year.
- Team meetings will occur at the discretion of the Team Leaders.
- Special meetings may be called at the discretion of the chair.
- A quorum of 33% of the membership will be required for business to be transacted.
- Any member whose ethical or immoral actions are a detriment to our mission or purpose may be removed by a 66% vote of the membership at a special meeting.
- Membership must be rescinded by communication to the Chair in writing.
- Military Ex-Officio observers may attend and participate in meetings, inform MainGate of publicly releasable information concerning installation missions, activities, and matters of general interest to the military community, but may not serve in the management or control of MainGate, fundraising activities, lobbying activities, or activities intended to affect basing decisions.
Article V: Officers and Leadership Group
The eleven-member Leadership Group shall consist of: Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary/Treasurer, two At Large members, and six Team Leaders.
- Chair shall be responsible for coordination and communication to the members of MainGate and the community. Upon invitation, the chair will be responsible for either attending or sending an approved surrogate to all military or civilian functions and ceremonies.
- Vice Chair shall be responsible for presiding over meetings in absence of the chair as well as assisting in the coordination and communication for MainGate.
- Secretary/Treasurer shall be responsible for:
- Minutes and required notices for MainGate.
- All Documents and records regarding MainGate.
- Keeping account of all monies received or dispersed and required bookkeeping.
- Reporting financial position of MainGate monthly in writing.
- Two At Large members shall assist Chair and Vice Chair as needed.
- Six Team Leaders, each elected out of and by the members of the following six service teams:
- Health Care
- Community Liaison
- Quality of Life
- Land & Air Resources
- Chamber of Commerce President/CEO shall be an Ex-Officio Member.
Article VI: Elections and Term Lengths
- All Leadership Group members will serve 2-year terms with the ability to serve no more than 2 consecutive terms, or no more than 4 years, on the Leadership Group in any position. Once 2 consecutive terms have been served, any member must sit out one full 2-year cycle before being elected again to the Leadership Group. Individuals may only hold one position at a time.
- July of every odd year, elections will occur for the six Team Leaders.
- Nominations will be accepted for Team Leader only from a member of that specific Service Team.
- The nominee must be a member of that specific Service Team.
- Only members of that specific Service Team can vote for their Team Leader.
- July of every even year, elections will occur for Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary/Treasurer and two At Large members.
- Nominations will be accepted from any member of MainGate.
- The nominee must be a member of MainGate.
- Each member of MainGate can vote for each of the 5 positions.
- Nominations will be accepted from the membership, in writing and hand delivered to 1301 North White Sands Blvd, Alamogordo NM to the Attention of the Chairman of the Alamogordo Chamber Board of Directors, up until the close of business, 14 days before the elections are to take place.
- If a vacancy occurs of any member of the Leadership Group due to death, resignation, disqualification, removal or otherwise, any such vacancy shall be filled in the same manner they were elected. Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary Treasure, At Large members will be elected by the members of the entire organization. Service Team leads will be replaced through the respective service team.
Article VII: Service Team Responsibilities
- The six permanent Service Teams are:
- Community Liaison
- Land/Air Resources
- Thanks Team Holloman
- Honorary Commander Program
- Quality of Life
- Retail Commerce
- Each Service Team will develop and share subject knowledge, and adopt a perpetual plan of work of necessary communication, cooperation and coordination to benefit the Mission and Vision of MainGate.
- Any travel/representation on behalf of MainGate shall be coordinated with the Leadership Group. All travel expenses for representation of MainGate will be at the individual’s expense.
- Other Ad Hoc teams may be added for a specific purpose at the discretion of the Leadership Group.
Article VIII: Dues
- Dues will be due July 1.
- The annual dues shall be set at the annual meeting. In the year of formation, dues shall be $330.
- When a member is admitted, dues shall be prorated on a semi-annual basis.
- Any member over 60 days late shall have membership automatically forfeited. Reinstatement shall be left to the discretion of the Leadership Group.
- Dues shall not be assessed against or collected from any active duty person (or federal civilian employee) appointed by the head of a DoD component to be a liaison to MainGate, as described in Article IV, section 2(c), or from any military service or component thereof.
Article IX: Fiscal Year
The MainGate operating year shall mirror that of the Chamber of Commerce – July 1 to June 30.
Article X: Sponsors
The MainGate may accept any designated contribution, bequest or device consistent with its general tax-exempt purpose and its Policies and Procedures. As so limited, donor designated contributions will be accepted for special funds, purposes or uses and such designations will generally be honored; however MainGate shall reserve all rights, titles and interest in and control of such contributions as well as full discretion as the ultimate expenditure or distribution of said funds. Further, the MainGate shall retain complete control over all donated funds, including designated contributions, and shall exercise unlimited discretion as to the investment and use of such funds with the goal of best carrying out our stated mission.
Article XI: Changes of Governing Policy/Dissolution
Governing Policies may be changed after 30 days’ notice at a meeting designated to discuss such changes.
Article XII: Disbursements
Disbursements after being approved by consensus of the Leadership Group or the membership will be made in accordance with Chamber of Commerce Financial policy with the 5 Leadership Group members elected by the entire membership, being signatories.
Article XIII: Subject Matter Experts
Subject Matter Experts (SME) should be encouraged and sought out by the service teams as needed and approved by the Leadership Group.
Article XIV: Parliamentary Authority
Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern in all cases to which they are applicable and in which case they are not inconsistent with these Policies and Procedures and any special rules adopted by the MainGate.
- Chair elected in 2017 will serve a 1-year term and then sit out a 2-year term.
- Nominations will be accepted for the first election in writing at the Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce up until close of business on June 27, 2017.
- To vote or be elected, all dues must be paid and by July 11, 2017.