About the Trinity Site

Trinity Site, where the first atomic bomb was tested at 5:29:45 a.m. Mountain War Time on July 16, 1945.

The 51,500 acre area was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1975. The landmark includes base camp, ground zero, and the McDonald ranch house where the plutonium core to the bomb was assembled. Visitors to a Trinity Site Open House see Ground Zero, “Jumbo” bomb casing, the McDonald House, one of the old instrumentation bunkers, historical photos, a Fatman bomb casing, and part of the original crater left by the explosion revealing “Trinitite”. (Greenish colored glassy substance formed by the heat and pressure of the explosion).

White Sands Missile Range Website: www.wsmr.army.mil

Tour Information: 800-826-0294 or 575-437-6120

Tour Dates: First Saturday in April and October.

Caravan leaves from the Tularosa High School Football Field Parking Lot at 8:00 am. (View Map)

Download more information about the Trinity Site